22 June 2020

Getting the word out about cruisers stranded in paradise



I've been helping cruisers find their way home or to safe harbour for the past couple of months through the Ocean Cruising Club. I was approached by a journalist, Susan Smillie, about stories that she might use to bring awareness to cruisers' plight in an article she was writing for the Guardian. So I spent about an hour on the phone with her - me in the west of Ireland, she alone on her boat in Greece. Then I directed her to stories unfolding in the OCC Facebook groups. She penned an article that was published yesterday morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/12/long-journey-home-the-stranded-sailboats-in-a-race-to-beat-the-hurricanes

The BBC World Service read the article and contacted me about doing a radio interview, which I did this morning at about 7:20 am. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do well in the morning. But I got up at 630 and took a shower and had a cup of coffee and some yogurt. From the sounds of it, I came across okay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00w940j/clips

Next comes an article for CNN.


No comments:

Post a Comment