24 November 2020

Decisions, decisions


Some time ago, I noticed an interesting phenomenon. When I was in management, mostly as President of an ad agency, I never wanted to make personal decisions about what to have for dinner, what plans to make for the weekend, or which colour to choose for the house paint. 

One summer, I took some time off. I travelled to Ireland, went sailing, visited family and friends and found that decisions, like where to have lunch or what movie to see, became a snap. I found that quite curious. 

I think that being in a position in which every moment of every day requires split-second decisions making layered over long-range planning puts a strain on personal decision-making capacity. Personal life becomes overload. Removal from that corporate responsibility frees up the ability and the interest in making basic life choices and decisions again.

Now that I am retired, decisions are easy. 

Just a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment