17 May 2024

Oral surgery

 


I had a scare several weeks ago when I developed an infection in one of my front teeth that resulted in a tooth becoming loose. My dentists were on holiday and I couldn't get in to see them for more than a week. I treated myself with Glyoxide, then got a course of antibiotics from my dentist. But I was worried about the tooth and was referred to my periodontist. 

My brilliant periodontist in Galway diagnosed that an ongoing infection in one of my lower front teeth had eroded my bone. But, he concluded that we could likely save the tooth. So I agreed to oral surgery and as I stood there, a cancellation came in for a week later. He advised me to take the appointment if I wanted the best chance of saving the tooth. So I did, despite Alex and I being due to speak at a roundtable at Ballymaloe House this weekend. 

The appointment was for 9 am in Galway on Friday the 17th of May. Making it to Galway in rush hour traffic would have been a nightmare and we didn't need the extra stress. So I booked us into the Victoria Hotel which is convenient to the dental office and the town centre.

I booked us into a new restaurant Éan recommended by the Michelin Guide. It was very unusual and spectacularly delicious. Perfectly balanced unique pairings of flavours as we've never experienced before. We started with almonds (to die for) and Grenacha wine. Next Alex had Dexter tartare and I had scallop in an oriental soup base with egg yolk. To top it off, we had the venison. Fabulous. 

Breakfast at the Victoria was OK. A short walk and I was in the operating theatre. I counted 11 injections of lidocaine. We started with a deep cleaning of a deep pocket in one of my molars and a cleaning of the staining caused by the Corsodyl I was told to use by my dentist. Then he moved on to the surgery when I was fully numb. Incisions were made around the affected tooth. Lots of hoking followed along the inside of the tooth, then solutions sprayed, the tooth secured with adhesive to the adjacent tooth, treatment with ultraviolet light, and more. Last, he inserted a gel matrix that encourages regrowth of bone by my body. Finally, more than an hour later, I counted three sutures in the back and five in the front. They are dissolving sutures which should be absorbed in a few days. 

I can't bite anything with the front of my teeth for about 5 days. Soft foods only for 4-5 days. Antibiotics for 5 days, and pain meds stronger than ibuprofen for a few days. 

He said we'd done everything humanly possible to save the tooth. It was up to God's divine intervention to determine what was next. I hope my connection with God is favourable for my prayers to be heard. 

I see him again on the 7th June. We'll see what God has in store for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment