22 September 2017

Mea culpa -- reversing the philosophy of the To Do list


First, I feel guilty for not having written much this summer. My last post was the day before my birthday. That was the last day I sat at my computer before sailing off to Spain with Alex aboard Aleria. I don't feel too guilty because in the two months we were there, I recharged. Limited internet, no TV, and no radio meant lots of reading, seeing new things and relaxing. Lots of new ideas and the desire to follow up ensued.



Fast forward to our return home and I find I haven't had any time to do any of the things I want to do. Instead I was being forced to do things I didn't want to do. Some were unavoidable. Others were completely my own damned fault.


Of course, I became obsessed with following the coverage of the category 5 hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Not that I could do much to change the outcome, although I did manage to use what resources I had at my disposal to help people decide how they would help. At least something good came out of it.

So I have decided to reverse the situation. Instead of doing everything on the To do list, I have instituted a Not-to-do list.
  • I will not take part in endless conference calls -- I will limit my participation to 2 hours max and I will not let others ramble without purpose
  • I will not say yes to every volunteer request that comes my way  
  • I will not answer email for hours on end -- I will answer emails for one hour in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening
  • I will not surf the internet ad nauseum 
  • I will not spend time with people I don't like 
Stopping unproductive activities will hopefully enable me to concentrate on the things I really want to get done. My goal is to write the great American novel or memoir this year. I begin today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment